Open Doors for Refugees is heartbroken by the news of the devastation caused by the earthquakes in Turkey and Syria on February 6, 2023. The regions impacted by the earthquakes were already in need of humanitarian assistance before this natural disaster.
In northern Syria, the impact of the earthquakes is a crisis within a crisis. The areas most affected already host a high number of families displaced by the brutal 12-year conflict and face limited access to supplies and medical services. In southern Turkey, the impacted areas are home to 13.5 million people, including 2 million Syrian refugees.
The humanitarian needs in both countries are immense. We stand in solidarity with all those affected by the earthquakes, including our refugee families here in Madison who have family members in the impacted regions.
Monetary donations are the best way to support the relief efforts, and we have compiled a list of locally vetted organizations in Turkey and Syria who are responding. This list is not exhaustive, and is offered as a starting place to research how you can support.
To Support Syria
- The White Helmets: https://www.whitehelmets.org/en/
- Syrian American Medical Society: https://www.sams-usa.net/sams-responds-to-devastating-7-8-earthquake-impacting-syria/
- Molham Team: https://molhamteam.com/en/campaigns/439
To Support Turkey
- Turkish Red Crescent: https://donation.ifrc.org/?campaign=f3cfd66a-0ba7-ed11-a2da-005056010028
- World Central Kitchen: https://wck.org/relief/turkiye-syria-earthquakes
- Karam Foundation: https://give.karamfoundation.org/campaign/emergency-earthquake-support/c465190